Model: 100-6 BN6
Origin: Abingdon, England
Production: 1956-1959 | 14,436
Engine: 2639cc C-Series I6
Austin-Healey was a British sports car maker established in 1952 as a joint venture through the Austin division of British Motor Corporation (BMC) and the Donald Healey Motor Company (Healey). In 1966, BMC merged with Jaguar Cars to create British Motor Holdings (BMH). Donald Healey left BMH in 1968 and became chairman of Jensen Motors in 1972. In the same year, Austin-Healey cars ceased production and the 20-year agreement between Healey and Austin came to an end.
The 100-6 was the first six-cylinder model offered and helped the company’s reputation as a serious sports car manufacturer. This model replaced the Austin-Healey 100 and was the predecessor to the Austin-Healey 3000. Together the three makes became known as the “Big Healeys.” The original two-tone color scheme is still found on the vehicle today. 14,436 100-6s were manufactured before production ended in 1959.
The Austin-Healey, like most brands of that time, was very much into racing. They competed in Europe at Le Mans and in Sebring in the U.S., in classic rallies by the BMC competitions department, and were recognized in the very beginning by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). The last Big Healey to win an SCCA National Championship was the class E Production Austin-Healey 100-6 driven by Alan Barker at the Daytona ARRC in 1965.